Tuesday 17 June 2014

Swinton Library

Swinton library is housed in an imposing stone building that looks like something out of Get Carter. Although not the prettiest building to look at, once inside I like the fact that a building that was opened in 1970 is still being used.

The library itself is a good size and well-stocked.  I've visited a few libraries in Salford and Swinton has the biggest children's section out of the ones I've seen.


Blushes Spared

The staff are personable and friendly. I mentioned to one of them that my son's children's library card didn't work in the self-checkout machine so gave the books to her to check out like we used to do in the old days. Back when the building would have been opened in fact.

When she took the card she looked at it and solemnly told me that what I had given her was not, in fact, a library card.

She spared my blushes by opting not to take the mick out of the fact that I had given her a card for Pendlebury Fit City she was supposed to use to issue out the books.

So, new facilities in an old building. And staff that are nice enough not to take the mickey out of you even when you deserve it. Swinton Library, long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment