Thursday 21 August 2014

How To Cope With Being The Least Favourite Parent

My son is definitely a 'Mummy's Boy'.  He's fine with me when my wife is not around.  He'll play with me and he'll respond to me.  He seems happy that I am his dad.  We get along great.  When his mum is around as well, however, it's a different story.


"Where's Mummy?"

When he asks for something, he kicks off if I go and get it.  The face crumples.  "I want MUMMY to get it!" he screams.  Of course, we don't accept the screaming and remind him that he has to ask nicely etc, but the preference is clear. 

When I go into his bedroom in the morning his face falls when he sees it is me.  "Where's mummy?" he demands as if she is late for an appointment.  Needless to say, if mummy goes into him first thing, he could probably get to the early afternoon before it occurred to him to ask where daddy is. 


Second Best

At one time, I felt a bit aggrieved that I was clearly considered second best.  Then I thought of it another way.

I know my son loves me.  We're very close.  We have a great time together and we make each other laugh.  I experience all the joy of parenthood even though I'm not as highly rated as my wife is.  In this respect, I feel like a journeyman professional footballer.  He may not get international recognition, he may not get the £200 000 a week that the superstars get, but he gets to play a game he loves for a living.  And he still probably earns £20 000 a week. 

And he doesn't get the media scrutinising his private life.  Just as I get to have more lie-ins than my wife does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment