Friday 18 July 2014

Why I Want My Son To Be A Salford Fan

I'll start with a confession.  Though a Swinton resident, I'm not actually a Salford Reds fan (or a Swinton one for that matter).

In rugby league terms, I'm used to being a traitor though.  I was born in Warrington but thanks to my Uncle's influence, I grew up and remain a Wigan fan. 

On the whole, I've been very lucky.  As a kid I got to enjoy many trips to Wembley to see my heroes hoist the Challenge Cup.  I saw world class players grace my team's pitch. 

Fans of other clubs experienced far less of this as a result of Wigan's sheer dominance of the game.  Especially before Super League came along.


No Mates

As an 'out of towner' though, I feel I missed out on the more social benefits to the game.  On the first game of one season, the lad who sat with his family in front of us at Central Park was absent.  "Where's the lad?" the guy sitting next to them asked. "He's standing with his mates" his mum replied. 

Such an experience was denied to me.  My mates were bouncing and chanting on the terraces at Wilderspool and although I like to see Warrington do well now, I didn't then. 
My Wigan fan uncle nurses a profound hatred for the Wolves and I shared this at the time.  Plus, I didn't fancy being outed as a Wigan fan at 'the zoo'. 


Next Season


I'm going to take my boy along to his first game next season.  But it probably won't be at Wigan. 

I'd like him to follow Salford and I'd be prepared to take him to the A J Bell rather than the DW if he does take an interest in the game (it's only fleeting at the moment so we'll see). 

He'll be schooled in Wigan history though and he will be taken to some games at the DW but I'd like him to rise above the parochial hatred of other clubs and gain an overall appreciation of the game. 

A preference for Salford is looking the more likely.  At a recent family fun day at Swinton town hall he was given a Salford flag by the lads on the Reds' stall.  His local club is therefore the clear front runner.

I'll just have to keep my mouth shut when Wigan roll into town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment